Friday

Peach Compot

I made some peach compot over the last weekend.Peaches are in season and the stalls are full with them.I enjoy them more when cooked or baked,than when they are raw.For cooking and baking purposes I like to buy fruit which is a bit unripe,hard and sour.My batch of peaches was quite sour so I adjusted the amount of sugar accordingly.I also always peel of their skin,which stays a bit hard even after cooking.
I like to cook compot on a low heat,giving whichever fruit I use enough time to gently break down and mix with the sugar and spices.Therefore it is best to cut your fruit into the biggest chunks possible as compot opposed to jam should not turn into a puree like consistency.
For storing I can't really give advice out of experience,because these sort of things never last very long around my household.But I guess if you fill the compot into sterilized glass jars it should last a while.I store my batch in the fridge because I don't have a cellar.The thing with compot is that the sugar content is lower to that of jam and quite a good amount of fruit juice stays in it,which tends to facilitate rapid yeast production,so compot turns bad quite fast.
You can have compot with nearly every sweet thing you would use jam with,like pancakes,brioche,yogurt,ice cream,even homemade noodles...










I hope you enjoyed this post,have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment